Tuesday 17 October 2017

Jumping into Genius Hour


Hello all!

Welcome to my blog! To be completely honest this is the first time I've ever done something like this, so I am not entirely sure what to expect. However, I am here to welcome you all and invite you for the ride!

My name is actually Giovanna, but everyone calls me "Gio". I am currently beginning my first year of Teachers college at BrockU and I am really excited to get into the real swing of things!
Earlier this year I graduated with my Honors BA in Theatre Studies at the University of Guelph. It was such an amazing four years there that to be honest, I was not particularly excited to leave. However, I do know that I will always have wonderful memories at Guelph BUT!! now I have the opportunity to create more unique and memorable experiences while perusing my second degree at BrockU!

While this is just an introductory post I promise there will be more!
This blog is meant to show my journey through pursuing one of my passions, my first rough patch, however, comes at the beginning.... I can't decide on what I want to do yet!

This idea of pursuing my passions comes from the concept of Genius Hour. What is Genius hour you ask? It's this awesome program that originally began at google. The employees were encouraged to spend one hour of their day indulging in their passions and generally just learning about something they wanted to learn about. This cool idea was then picked up by schools and integrated into classrooms and the effects of were fantastic. Students were encouraged to research and learn about a topic of their choosing while being encouraged to get creative and pursue their passions.

I think that I will do something very creative, but sout of my comfort zone. Performing has always been something that I have loved doing for as long as I can remember, perhaps I will do something with music. I have always wanted to learn a favorite song on one of my favorites instruments and maybe this is the perfect opportunity to explore this.

Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cross Curricular Oral Communication

For the first three years of my teaching experience, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to teach drama to a wide range of students ...